Sporting Event, Tournament, Competition, Games, or Instructor Insurance
Protect your sporting event now.
Managing the risks of a sporting event will inherently be complicated as it requires planning for the safety of both participants and spectators. When you further consider the need to routinely enforce the usage of specialized safety equipment and obtain liability waivers for all participants, it is clear that the running of sporting events presents challenges uncommon to other event types. Successful sporting events will often include excited participants competing hard and producing some defining moments in terms of sports-heroics. However, remember sporting events are inherently dangerous for the participants and the most important thing is that the event occurs incident-free or at the very least you as the organizer are not held responsible for an injury or other liability issue.
A game-winning emotional high is a great way to conclude a sporting event, but running a properly insured, injury- and incident-free event should be the ultimate goal.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some of the things sporting event, tournament, competition, games, or instructor insurance covers?
- Bodily injury including sickness and slip and falls.
- Injury to spectators.
- Property damage to third parties.
- Liquor liability.
- Coverage can also extend to the use of fireworks or inflatables. Note that compliance with underwriter guidelines is required.
- Medical payments.
- Incidental medical malpractice.
- Vendor extension available.
- Use of reasonable force to protect people or property.
- Modified participant liability coverage included as arising out of the negligence as a property owner or lessee or occupier or manager of the premises or facility.
- Full participant liability available upon request (underwriter approval required).
- Participant accident coverage available upon request.
What are some best practices for my sporting, tournament, competition, games, or instructor event?
- Have an “iron-clad” liability waiver and ensure all participants sign it before being allowed to play.
- Ensure your liability waiver is reviewed/approved by a lawyer and is separate from the registration form.
- Make sure that all required safety equipment is worn by all participants.
- Do a walkthrough of all locations and facilities to be sure no hazards are present.
- Ensure all participants are aware of the hazards/risks and have qualified referees or umpires to call each game.
- If alcohol is being served:
- Be aware of guest ages and ensure only appropriate-aged guests are served.
- Ensure all third-party servers have appropriate certifications.
- Obtain appropriate permitting (e.g. one-day liquor licensing) and follow the pursuant rules and regulations.
- Ticket and only allow liquor purchase for a short window of time.
- Have and document safe ride options for patrons to get home.
- Consider professional security as they have experience in managing the risk of events. If you cannot obtain professional security, we suggest using volunteer security that stay sober and can be responsible for contacting the authorities, if required.
What else should I know about sporting event, tournament, competition, games, or instructor insurance?
- Event cancellation insurance is a different coverage from liability insurance for events and must be purchased separately, if desired.
- Rates for liability insurance for events don’t vary by location across Canada, so whether your event is in Ontario, BC, or Alberta your cost will be the same.
- Sporting event, tournament, competition, games, or instructor insurance is available across Canada including the provinces of BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec. Please note that insurance documentation is currently only available in English for Quebec clients.
- Sporting event insurance is certainly the main coverage requested in this family of events. However, other popular coverages include:
- Tournament insurance
- Competition insurance
- Games insurance
- Instructor insurance
- Mountain bike trail competition insurance
- Winter and summer Olympic-type games insurance
- Skateboarding insurance
- Firefighter competition insurance
- Triathalon insurance
- Race insurance
- Medieval games insurance
- Highland games insurance
- Team roping insurance
- Wagon/sleigh ride insurance (no speed involved)
- Dance insurance
Who is Marsh and why should I buy my liability insurance for events through them?
- Marsh is the world’s leading insurance broker and risk advisor. With colleagues operating in more than 130 countries, Marsh serves commercial and individual clients with data driven risk solutions and advisory services. Marsh Canada Limited has more than 1,000 employees and offices in 13 cities across Canada.
- Marsh helped 490 customers manage and protect community and family events in 2019. Join the many Canadian event organizers already benefiting from the ease of purchase and broad coverages available under the Marsh Event Liability Insurance Program.
Need to know more about sporting event, tournament, competition, games, or instructor insurance?
Please contact your Marsh Canada licensed insurance broker directly at:
1 888 755 5247 | Email: email@example.com
Your event liability insurance coverages will be placed with a program administered by Marsh Canada Limited. Marsh Canada has engaged in a competitive marketing process to offer a competitive product. We have negotiated this Program on a group basis with the insurer but we have not acted as a broker for any individual participant. This Program may be for a term of several years and may not be negotiated annually.
Information on this website represents a synopsis of coverage and is provided as a reference only. The actual policy, including endorsements determines coverage. It contains exclusions, limitations and other provisions not referenced (or only briefly summarized) here and the policy should be consulted for full coverage terms, conditions and requirements. Deductibles may apply. For exact terms, definitions, limitations, and exclusions, please speak with your licensed Marsh Canada Limited insurance broker, or refer to the policy wording.
This web page is not intended to be taken as advice regarding any individual situation and should not be relied upon as such. The information contained herein is based on sources we believe reliable, but we make no representation or warranty as to its accuracy. Marsh shall have no obligation to update this publication and shall have no liability to you or any other party arising out of this publication or any matter contained herein. Any modelling, analytics, or projections are subject to inherent uncertainty, and the Marsh Analysis could be materially affected if any underlying assumptions, conditions, information, or factors are inaccurate or incomplete or should change. Marsh makes no representation or warranty concerning the application of policy wordings or the financial condition or solvency of insurers or re-insurers. Marsh makes no assurances regarding the availability, cost, or terms of insurance coverage.